Choose a topic that interests you and will hold your attention. If you do, the research will be more enjoyable!
The Research Assignment
Before selecting a topic or starting your research, make sure you understand your assignment and its requirements. Consider the following:
- Have you been assigned a topic or can you pick your own?
- If you have been assigned a topic, analyse the assignment questions:
- How many pages/words do you need to write? How long is your presentation?
- Do you need to include specific types of sources? (e.g. scholarly journal, book, etc.)
- When is the assignment due? How much time do you have to research?
- Is currency of information important?
You need to develop a clear understanding of what is expected of you to complete your assignments. If you need to clarify any aspect of your assignment then talk to the lecturer who set the assignment.
The Library and Information Service offers a wide range of group training sessions with the main focus on enhancing the information literacy skills of all students at Stellenbosch University. Book a specific training session or consult the undergraduate or postgraduate training programme to see a list of all training sessions available for specific target groups.