To paraphrase, follow the steps below:
1. Read the original text until you grasp its meaning; then set it aside.
2. Using your memory, write down the main points or concepts. Do not copy the text verbatim.
3. Change the structure of the text by varying the opening, changing the order of sentences, lengthening or shortening sentences, etc.
4. Replace keywords within the sentences with synonyms or phrases with similar meanings.
5. Check your notes against the original to ensure you have not accidentally plagiarized.
Plagiarism is the act of stating or implying that another person's work is your own. Plagiarism can range from submitting a paper you didn't write to omitting key citations. Any action in which you misleadingly claim an idea as your own when it is not could constitute plagiarism. Here are some examples of what not to do