Effective 1 January 2018, the University Library is cancelling its subscription to RefWorks. The decision was based on the fact that the Library already supports Mendeley, a reference manager that is available free of charge. Over the last few years the number of RefWorks users at Stellenbosch University has dropped while that of Mendeley is growing. In the near future current RefWorks users will have to learn to use the new version of RefWorks and will have to transfer their references from the legacy version to the new RefWorks. They may as well transfer their records to, and learn to use, Mendeley.
We understand that this is a big change, but we are hopeful that with this early notice, RefWorks users will have ample time to transition to another tool.
Anyone with a RefWorks account will have to transfer to another tool of their choice before the end of December 2017.
Options for moving your RefWorks content to another citation management tool are outlined in this LibGuide. Please contact your Faculty Librarian with any questions or requests for assistance or attend one of the Mendeley training sessions indicated under Mendeley@SU on this LibGuide
This printable instruction is a guide that can assist users with the migration process.
This video can assist users with the migration process. The content may differ from the printable instructioin guide.
Plagiarism is the act of stating or implying that another person's work is your own. Plagiarism can range from submitting a paper you didn't write to omitting key citations. Any action in which you misleadingly claim an idea as your own when it is not could constitute plagiarism. Here are some examples of what not to do
To paraphrase, follow the steps below:
1. Read the original text until you grasp its meaning; then set it aside.
2. Using your memory, write down the main points or concepts. Do not copy the text verbatim.
3. Change the structure of the text by varying the opening, changing the order of sentences, lengthening or shortening sentences, etc.
4. Replace keywords within the sentences with synonyms or phrases with similar meanings.
5. Check your notes against the original to ensure you have not accidentally plagiarized.