New newsworthy legislation
- Adjustments Appropriation Act 12 of 2016
- Appropriation Act 6 of 2016
- Children's Amendment Act 17 of 2016
- Children's Second Amendment Act 18 of 2016
- Division of Revenue Act 3 of 2016
- Division of Revenue Amendment Act 11 of 2016
- Finance Act 7 of 2016
- Higher Education Amendment Act 9 of 2016
- Immigration Amendment Act 8 of 2016
- Local Government - Municipal Electoral Amendment Act 1 of 2016
- Performing Animals Protection Amendment Act 4 of 2016
- Rates and Monetary Amounts and Amendment of Revenue Laws Act 13 of 2016
- Rates and Monetary Amounts and Amendment Revenue Laws (Administration) Act 14 of 2016
- Revenue Laws Amendment Act 2 of 2016
- Tax Administration Laws Amendment Act 16 of 2016
- Taxation Laws Amendment Act 15 of 2016
- Unemployment Insurance Amendment Act 10 of 2016
South African Legislation
FINDING SOUTH AFRICAN LEGISLATION
All acts in
Juta publishes an annual set classified statutes. Juta volumes are published in a handy and compact format.
Butterworths Classified and Annotated Statutes of South Africa is a loose leaf edition. It is updated twice annually . Acts are published in Afrikaans and English. The set contains statutes in force from 1910. Volume 1 has an alphabetical index to the titles (groups) used, also a chronological table of acts and an alphabetical table to acts.
Butterworths also publishes a set of selected acts often used in practice (i.e. the Deeds Act; the Magistrates Court Act). The set is known as Butterworths Consolidated Legislation Service. Each volume contains the text of the act, regulations in terms of the act and a list of fitting cases. This loose leaf publication is updated regularly.
Juta's Legislation Service issues individual acts with regulations in Afrikaans and English.
Electronic editions of statutes
South African acts are published in
- Jutastat database. Acts are classified and chronological and alphabetical lists are available in the contents pages.
- LexisNexis Butterworths database has a full text edition of South African acts (with regulations) and regional legislation.
Each province in
Ordinances and provincial acts are also published in loose leaf editions by different publishers.Electronic copies available on LexisNexis Butterworths database.
Municipal regulations and notices are published in the Official Gazette of the province where the municipality (local authority) is situated.
Regulations are published in Regulation Gazettes. Regulation Gazettes are also Government Gazettes and have both Government Gazette numbers and Regulation Gazette numbers.
Indexes to legislation:
Windex (Juta's Index to the South African Government and Provincial Gazettes) was, until 1989, the most important index to legislation. It is no longer published.
Government Gazette Index is published since 1979. The GGI indexes all Government Gazettes and it is a useful reference source to legislation and subsidiary legislation i.e. regulations and bills.
In 1990 the title changed to Juta State